Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Henry David Thoreau

Henry David Thoreau was an American poet, naturalist, and philosopher, among other things. His famous work, Walden, reflects upon living a simplistic lifestyle surrounded by nature. Does that sound appealing to anyone else but me???
I think it's safe to say Thoreau was a proponent of living a simple, "small" life, but one full of meaning and the majesty of nature. He is quoted as saying, "Simplify, simplify!"
Another favorite of mine, “If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
I do not know much about Thoreau, but I appreciate his point of view about simplifying your life and living life to the fullest. I'm not sure what his other beliefs were, but on this, I think he's got it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment