Saturday, August 20, 2011

I Will Not Be Ruled By Fear

The big news of my life this week is such that it will require decisions to be made & actions to be taken, and soon. My husband just got laid off from his job on Friday. Yikes! Of course, we have been planning on moving to Seattle sometime in the next year or so, and my husband has applied to a few jobs there. But did we expect to be facing these decisions right now? So soon? No, of course not! We expected to take our time and finish renovating our house to our satisfaction, then Eric would get a job in Seattle, then we would put our house on the market, then we would move away, then our house would sell quickly. This was our plan. THE PLAN. And now, that plan is shot all to pieces. We don't know what we're going to do or what will happen.
Eric has filed for unemployment, which we never imagined we would have to do. He is also looking into potential job openings in the Cincinnati area, but no luck yet. So we may keep our house and stay here a bit longer if he gets a decent job. But we really don't want to remain here. What we want is to live in Seattle, but we may not get what we want. But maybe, just maybe, a job in Seattle will finally come through for Eric and we can move out there.
So we've got lots to think about and decisions to be made here in the next few weeks. And hopefully things will work out soon. But we are afraid. Afraid of poverty, afraid of losing our house, afraid of not being able to live where we want, afraid of having to endure more financial hardships, afraid that our financial situation is never going to change. But I have vowed to not let our decisions or emotions be ruled by fear. Yes, there are things to be afraid of, but as the old adage says, "This too shall pass," and things will get better. I know this. I may not feel this, and I don't feel very hopeful at the moment, but I know that things will get better, because I know God. And God has promised that He will never let us down, so no matter how bleak our future looks, He has not forgotten us and still desires to give us good things.
One of my favorite verses in the Bible is this: "For I know the plans I have for you', says the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."--Jeremiah 29:11
I love what God says here. He has plans for us; GOOD plans, and these plans will prosper us and not harm us. And we'll have hope and a future. This verse is music to my ears right now, and I will keep trusting God to keep his promises.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear he got laid off. Good luck with everything. I'm sure it will all work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Kathy! I really appreciate your encouragement and your continued readership of my blog.
    We have faith that all will work out well for us, but sometimes we take our eyes off of that assurance, and that's when we start getting scared and worried, and panicking about the future. The future is super scary when you're poor, jobless, and don't really have any direction for the future! So we've been trying to stay grounded in our faith and we have to remind ourselves a lot that everything will be okay, someday, somehow. That's a fact. Thanks for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete